From: Randy

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1999030203:33:39
Subject: Math

I have a few students with specific learning disabilities in my 6th grade class. I teach multiplication facts by having all my students chant the multiples. I write the multiples on the board. The students read the numbers as I point to them. I control the tempo and pace. I usually tap the numbers on the board with a wooden pointer so they also get an auditory cue. I don't let them blabber away. I start with 2's, 5's, and 10's because they are the easiest to remember. I have the kids look for the patterns in the products and listen to the rhythm as they say them. "2-4-6-8-10-12-14-16-18-20-22-24" After a while, the kids start "rapping" the multiples. After a while, you'll find each multiple has its own rhythm and beat. They pause at the same time. Continue at the same time. (I thinks it's because they all run out of breath at the same time.) "3-6-9-12-15-18-21-24-27-30---33-36" Because it gets so noisy, I have them whisper, say it to themselves, and say it in a normal voice, but never let them shout. I do let them bounce, sway, and tap their toes, but not pound on their desks, which they invariably want to do. For follow-up, they can write the multiples on paper as they chant to themselves. They can do this for homework. Hope this helps. Randy

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/