Q&A #543

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Difficulties in understanding math problem

View entire discussion
[<< prev]

From: Jade

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006110917:18:11
Subject: Re: Re: math phobia

Hi, I am not math phobic but I am trying to get disability income from the SSA because among other problems I have that hinder me greatly, is dyscalculia. The worst problem it causes me is not being able to remember math forumulas long enough to understand what in the world a person is talking about, either that or not undestanding their terminlogy. My upper comprehension limit it on pre-algebra, when I learn it I quickly forget it, and when I was doing it, I had a vague understanding of what it was I was doing. Of course I realized the formulas represented basic things, but it was very difficult to do anything right. It also corrupts my adding and subtracting abilities, like I can't always count something simple like a wad of twenties correctly, my memory gets messed up when I do. With multiplying it seems to go bad too. I can't find any neuropsychologists in the Albuquerque, NM area, let alone ones who know what dyscalculia is. I know I don't have to prove to the SSA that that is what I specifically have, but since it is an organic disorder, to show that I at least have numerical memory and basic calculating impairment (and in general due to my constant scalp psoriasis, high arches and the abuse I suffered from childhood to adulthood, which causes me so much stress I have a much poorer memory then most) would greatly help me to get SSI I'm sure. I've also come up with a superior way to test people for dyscalculia without scanning their brain for a disorder. If anyone would like to implement my idea or fund my testing project, please let me know.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®