From: Kristina

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002052214:22:18
Subject: Re: open-ended math questions

Dear Debbie, Roya already sent you some good ideas about finding ESPA-like open ended problems, but here's another idea for you. Some teachers in New Jersey like to use the Math Forum's Problems of the Week (PoW) services because the problems gives students opportunities to communicate their mathematical thinking. We mentor students during the school year (for free!), but we also save all of our past problems which we do not mentor. You can find them by searching in our library or by browsing through the calendar. Some of the problems are more open-ended than others, but most of them are written in a way so that students can use more than one method to solve them. Main PoW page: http://mathforum.org/pow/ Math Library (past problems) http://mathforum.org/library/problems/ For 6th grade you should look through both the elementary problems and the middle school problems. You can print them without the level at the top, so students won't know what level they are. Cheers! -Kristina, for the T2T service

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/