From: Michelle

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002011414:06:57
Subject: Calculating percents

In the adult education program in which I teach, I see students all the time who've never been able to remember, and therefore, apply the strategies for solving percents based on algebraic equations, i.e. A x B/100 = C Instead, I teach them to use proportion setups to solve percent questions. Since we use proportions to solve many other types of questions for which they're studying, it's a natural complement. The basic setup is this A / 100 = B / C, with 100 always representing the whole in terms of percentage and A or C being the corresponding percent. (one can line up the % top and bottom or side to side, as long as the other numbers correspond correctly) From that basis, I go on to teach them to use this framework to solve different types of questions using logic rather than memorization. 100% represents the whole, the original number (price), etc. The other percentage represents the part, the sale price, the discount, etc. It requires teaching them to think hard about what they are looking for and to use mental math. For example, if they are given the discount, but looking for the sale price, they need to calculate the sale price DISCOUNT (%)

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/