From: Carrie

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001011121:51:36
Subject: 100 day activities

Hello, Amelia, When I taught a primary multi-age classrom, the 100th day was one of my favorites. One thing I did with my students was give each "architect" 100 mini (stale) marshmallows and 100 toothpicks. Their task was to work with a partner to design, create and then sketch a marshmallow tower. This was a great opportunity for them to explore the number 100 in addition to spatial sense and the physics involved in trying to design a structure that could stay standing (Students had the option to break toothpicks if necessary.) Here's another one: Usually the 100th day falls sometime around Valentine's Day. So we created a bulletin board called "100 Kind Words." Students brainstormed words that felt kind to them. This is an ideal opportunity to introduce a thesaurus or synonym finder. Here are a few more: - 100 math facts - 100 names - 100 things to be thankful for - 100 random acts of kindness Have fun! Carrie, tutor, former primary teacher Swarthmore, PA

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/