From: Roseann <squire.southworth@worldnet.att.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001011513:34:03
Subject: 100th Day

Here are some of the activities I've done with students to celebrate
the 100th Day:
*Have the students trace their feet on construction paper and cut them
out.  On each paper foot, they should write their name. On one foot
they should write Step 1 and on the other foot, Step 100. Step 1
should be taped on the floor by their workspace. The student then
takes 100 steps away from their workspace. (either their normal paces
or toe-heel, this should be decided ahead of time by the group) The
student should tape down Step 100 wherever they land. This is fun
because you see the colorful feet all over the building.

•Everyone brings in 100 pieces of a small snack item. Mix them all
together in a huge bowl or pot and then everyone counts out	100 pieces
of the mix for their snack. Each student can then sort their snack and
make a graph with the snack and also on graph paper. Compare graphs.

•Have kids choose an activity -jumping jacks, toe touches, sit ups,
etc. Ask them to estimate how long it will take them to do 100 of
their chosen activity. Have a partner time them as they do the
activity and  count for themselves. Create a large chart for everyone
to record their name, activity, estimate, and actual performance.

•Have everyone bring in a collection of 100 things- pictures, pennies,
socks, I had student bring in 100 Beanie Babies. Compare the space
taken up by the different collections. This spurred an impromtu
discussion on volume in one of my classes.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/