Q&A #5464

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: 100th Day activities

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Gail

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001012708:11:21
Subject: Re: 100th Day

I celebrate the hundredth day with my fifth graders each year. We decorate T-shirts to share ideas that we know about 100, and do a number of estimation and measurement activities to reflect on 100. For instance, we guess how much room 100 words will take up in our anthologies, and then count it out. We guess how thick 100 pages is in inches and cm. We trace our shoes and guess how long a line placed heel to toe (and side by side) would be, and then measure one and determine the actual length. We also bring in 100 edible items (I ask each child to bring in all the same kind of item). Then we predict the mass of each bag of goodies, and put them in order by guessing. We use mass counters and balances to determine the actual masses of the bags befroe we combine them to make snack mix. We also take a math class period before the hundredth day to go outside and stake out a giant hundred in the back of our school. Groups of students have blueprints to make the digits, and when it is through I spray paint the outline so that on the hundredth day we (the entire school) can go outside and stand in the outline. A photographer takes our picture and we hang it in the hallway of the school. This year our communications skills teacher is coordinating classroom efforts to make a 100th day quilt composed of pictures from stories students have read and enjoyed. Our 100th day is Feb. 9, if we don't have a snow day before then!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®