From: Gail <genglert@home.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001012708:11:21
Subject: Re: 100th Day

I celebrate the hundredth day with my fifth graders each year.  We
decorate T-shirts to share ideas that we know about 100, and do a
number of estimation and measurement activities to reflect on 100.

 For instance, we guess how much room 100 words will take up in our
anthologies, and then count it out.  We guess how thick 100 pages is
in inches and cm.  We trace our shoes and guess how long a line placed
heel to toe (and side by side) would be, and then measure one and
determine the actual length.

We also bring in 100 edible items (I ask each child to bring in all
the same kind of item).  Then we predict the mass of each bag of
goodies, and put them in order by guessing.  We use mass counters and
balances to determine the actual masses of the bags befroe we combine
them to make snack mix.

We also take a math class period before the hundredth day to go
outside and stake out a giant hundred in the back of our school.
Groups of students have blueprints to make the digits, and when it is
through I spray paint the outline so that on the hundredth day we (the
entire school) can go outside and stand in the outline.  A
photographer takes our picture and we hang it in the hallway of the
school.

This year our communications skills teacher is coordinating classroom
efforts to make a 100th day quilt composed of pictures from stories
students have read and enjoyed.

Our 100th day is Feb. 9, if we don't have a snow day before then!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/