From: Loyd <loydlin@aol,com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002020507:39:50
Subject: Re: binary numbers

On 2002020500:49:16, meghan wrote:
>	hello everyone! i am student teaching and i need to make a lesson
>plan on binary numbers there is not much help on the internet. i need
>a internet project that the class can do as well as some other
>activities to do with binary number. i can make the lesson plan for
>any age gropup so any activities will be helpful. if anyone has ideas
>please let me know. thanks

I edited the last by taking out the 251 which I had left in by
mistake.

Suggestion: Make base ten chart showing ones, tens, hundreds,
thousands etc something like this using both names and exponents
Lets convert 28 to binary for example:
10,000's  1000's   100's    tens     ones
10^4   |  10^3  | 10^2  |  10^1  |  10^0  |
|      |        |       |    2   |    8   |
|      |        |       |        |        |
|      |        |       |        |        |
|      |        |       |        |        |
|      |        |       |        |        |

   16's    8's      4's    2's      ones
| 2^4  |  2^3   |   2^2 |  2^1   |  2^0   |
|   1  |   1    |    1  |     0  |   0       (16+8+4=28)=28
|      |        |       |        |        |
|      |        |       |        |        |
|      |        |       |        |        |

If you need more help, then let me know and I can expand on this.  I
might suggest a calculator such as the HP 6s has binary, octal and
hexidecimal conversion keys on them.  I would suggest using an aid
like that to help.  The HP 6s is also a very nice inexpensive
scientific calculator suitable for all science classes.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/