Q&A #583

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Algebra II

View entire discussion
[ next >>]

From: John Stone

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1999052516:48:40
Subject: AlgebraI, AlgebraII, Trigonometry

Dear T2T I am associated with a high school that desparately needs to incorporate computers into the learning process for high school math students. Problem: The students at this school are testing at or below the 40 percentile for the national average in mathematics. The state has mandated that the school develop a plan for improving the overall math scores by 10-15 percent each year over the next 3 years. Approach: I have worked in conjunction with the principle of the school to get a state grant that will privide a technology lab with 20 computers. This lab is to be used to help improve the math skills of the high school students. Also embedded within this grant are funds to purchase mathematical learning software that will compliment the classroom teaching by providing additional instruction and practice exercises. Request: What I would like from you is the name(s) of some proven mathematical software packages that can be used to teach Algebra I, II, II, trigonometry, geometry, pre-calculus, and calculus I & II. Can you please email to me the name of some software packages that are rated highly for effectiveness with high school students. Also of you know or have any teaching techniques, guides, lesson plans that have been used to teach these grade levels (9-12) incorporating the computers, I would be most interested. Thanks in advance for your assistance, John Stone P.S. This is a rather urgent notices as the identification of resources must be completed by 6/25/99.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®