From: Debra Whiting <mrsweather4him@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007012708:45:07
Subject: Re: slow learners in my classroom

You are in the same boat as me.  My time is so limited because I teach
two grades in the same classroom. This is what I've tried so far.  I
use student tutors.  They help them with the assigned work while I am
teaching the other grade.  We check our assignments in class so they
see  their mistakes, they then have to correct them.  Any corrections
that aren't done gets sent home daily for the parents to help them.  I
require them to pass all tests with a 70% or higher.  When they don't
pass(which is most often), I have them re-test until they can pass it.
On math tests, they have to correct their mistakes.

Also for math, I don't have them attempt the problems that I know they
can't do until they are finished with the test and then we work it
together. This keeps them from feeling defeated and every time they
re-test they at least learn a little more. I praise them when they
don't have to re-test.  Also,  I try to get the parents involved.
Sometimes the parent can't help because they are slow learners too.
In some subjects, I require less of them.  For example, in spelling
class I reduce the number of words they are required to learn.
Smaller portions of memory work is given. I break it down into smaller
sections.  Instead of them having to quote/write the whole Declaration
of Independence, I break it down into smaller sections.  They still
learn it, just a little at a time.

Also, you have to be sure that you check your school's guidelines.  I
have to put "adjusted curriculum" or "basic math" etc. depending on
the case.  I have two students that fall under these categories.
Depending on how much the grade has been aided.  When little help is
given.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®