From: Debra Whiting

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007012709:45:07
Subject: Re: slow learners in my classroom

You are in the same boat as me. My time is so limited because I teach two grades in the same classroom. This is what I've tried so far. I use student tutors. They help them with the assigned work while I am teaching the other grade. We check our assignments in class so they see their mistakes, they then have to correct them. Any corrections that aren't done gets sent home daily for the parents to help them. I require them to pass all tests with a 70% or higher. When they don't pass(which is most often), I have them re-test until they can pass it. On math tests, they have to correct their mistakes. Also for math, I don't have them attempt the problems that I know they can't do until they are finished with the test and then we work it together. This keeps them from feeling defeated and every time they re-test they at least learn a little more. I praise them when they don't have to re-test. Also, I try to get the parents involved. Sometimes the parent can't help because they are slow learners too. In some subjects, I require less of them. For example, in spelling class I reduce the number of words they are required to learn. Smaller portions of memory work is given. I break it down into smaller sections. Instead of them having to quote/write the whole Declaration of Independence, I break it down into smaller sections. They still learn it, just a little at a time. Also, you have to be sure that you check your school's guidelines. I have to put "adjusted curriculum" or "basic math" etc. depending on the case. I have two students that fall under these categories. Depending on how much the grade has been aided. When little help is given.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/