From: Debra Whiting <mrsweather4him@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007012713:27:28
Subject: Re: slow learning ability

Have you spoken to your child's teacher and/or past teachers?  If not,
you need to do this.  They should have test scores.  They should help
pinpoint the general problems.  For example, I have a student that
scored low on his S.A.I. (school index ability).  It is somewhat
similar
to I.Q.  The score is broken up into verbal and non-verbal.  When
trying
to find the cause of his learning problems, I went to his file and
noticed that his verbal score was 87, which is a low average (95-105
ave. 85-95 being a low average), but his non-verbal score was 66(below
70 is considered special ed).  By studying that, I realized his
pattern.
He usually got C's and up with verbal things (memory work that was
drilled orally in class, any questions over class discussion etc. when
required to give back orally).  Even though he did pretty well in a
spelling bee,  he was failing spelling.  The test helped me to see his
problem was in non-verbal.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®