Q&A #5858

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Teaching strategy for slow learners

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Debra Whiting

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007012713:27:28
Subject: Re: slow learning ability

Have you spoken to your child's teacher and/or past teachers? If not, you need to do this. They should have test scores. They should help pinpoint the general problems. For example, I have a student that scored low on his S.A.I. (school index ability). It is somewhat similar to I.Q. The score is broken up into verbal and non-verbal. When trying to find the cause of his learning problems, I went to his file and noticed that his verbal score was 87, which is a low average (95-105 ave. 85-95 being a low average), but his non-verbal score was 66(below 70 is considered special ed). By studying that, I realized his pattern. He usually got C's and up with verbal things (memory work that was drilled orally in class, any questions over class discussion etc. when required to give back orally). Even though he did pretty well in a spelling bee, he was failing spelling. The test helped me to see his problem was in non-verbal.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®