From: susancaro

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008062823:05:54
Subject: Teaching slow learners

I am a special education teacher and have been teaching (or attempting to teach) the middle school students as an inclusion teacher. It is almost funny to realize that many of my sixth graders cannot do basic math such as addition, subtraction, or word problems on a first grade level. How did they get to sixth grade if they are so far below their level?????? I asked some of the teachers who explained that either the children are not allowed to be held back as special ed. students, or that there would be no benefit to holding them back, or let them move on and out of the school as they only spell trouble for the teachers and administration. My answere is that they need to be placed in a resource room where they can go back to the very basic basics and move slowly giving them a feeling of confidence.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/