From: Josh Rappaport <josh@singingturtle.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2009102423:38:24
Subject: Re: Teaching Algebra to a Profoundly Deaf Student

Hi Marilyn,

I am the author and publisher of supplemental math materials, and we
are finding that our books are particularly useful in helping deaf
students grasp concepts in pre-algebra and algebra.

We have a manipulative-based program for teaching the rules for
working with positive and negative numbers, and this is particularly
useful, as deaf students can grasp and work with foam manipulatives
that represent positive numbers, negative numbers, and 0.

As I'm sure you know, learning the rules for positive and negative
numbers is one of the trickiest concepts of pre-algebra, and
it can become a stumbling block that literally stops students
 from progressing in higher math.

Check out this manipulative program at:

http://www.singingturtle.com/pages/ADMINISTRATORS3.html

Let us know if you would like to test out this product with the deaf.

We also have a very friendly guide to algebra, the Algebra Survival
Guide, which can be used by the deaf. his book is very helpful at
getting across algebraic
concepts to the students who are deaf and/or blind.

You can check this out at:

http://www.singingturtle.com/pages/ADMINISTRATORS1.html

Please let us know if you have any questions about our products.

Keep up the great work, and we hope to be in touch.

Best regards,
  Josh Rappaport
Author and Publisher
Singing Turtle Press