Q&A #588

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Blind student in algebra

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Marilyn Williams

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006042717:31:57
Subject: Teaching Algebra to a Profoundly Deaf Student

I've had a pre-algebra student all year-profoundly deaf since birth, bright, inquisitive, will not allow herself to get less than an A in any class. She comes to all core classes with a gifted interpreter. But our experience this year seems to bode poorly for next year in Algebra I. Her frustration is growing as the material gets more abstract. Isn't there someone, somewhere, who has broken through and taught Algebra to such a student before? I know about and have used Algebra tiles for years, will be sharing all that with the interpreter. But is there more? Thank you for reading this and especially thanks if you respond. M Williams, Bartlesville OK

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®