Q&A #588

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Blind student in algebra

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Josh Rappaport

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2009102423:38:24
Subject: Re: Teaching Algebra to a Profoundly Deaf Student

Hi Marilyn, I am the author and publisher of supplemental math materials, and we are finding that our books are particularly useful in helping deaf students grasp concepts in pre-algebra and algebra. We have a manipulative-based program for teaching the rules for working with positive and negative numbers, and this is particularly useful, as deaf students can grasp and work with foam manipulatives that represent positive numbers, negative numbers, and 0. As I'm sure you know, learning the rules for positive and negative numbers is one of the trickiest concepts of pre-algebra, and it can become a stumbling block that literally stops students from progressing in higher math. Check out this manipulative program at: http://www.singingturtle.com/pages/ADMINISTRATORS3.html Let us know if you would like to test out this product with the deaf. We also have a very friendly guide to algebra, the Algebra Survival Guide, which can be used by the deaf. his book is very helpful at getting across algebraic concepts to the students who are deaf and/or blind. You can check this out at: http://www.singingturtle.com/pages/ADMINISTRATORS1.html Please let us know if you have any questions about our products. Keep up the great work, and we hope to be in touch. Best regards, Josh Rappaport Author and Publisher Singing Turtle Press josh@SingingTurtle.com

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®