Q&A #588

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Blind student in algebra

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: cant give name law abider

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2013110800:23:04
Subject: Re: Re: Teaching Algebra to a Profoundly Deaf Student

On 2009102422:38:24, Josh Rappaport wrote: > >Hi Marilyn, > >I am the author and publisher of supplemental math materials, and we >are finding that our books are particularly useful in helping deaf >students grasp concepts in pre-algebra and algebra. > >We have a manipulative-based program for teaching the rules for >working with positive and negative numbers, and this is particularly >useful, as deaf students can grasp and work with foam manipulatives >that represent positive numbers, negative numbers, and 0. > >As I'm sure you know, learning the rules for positive and negative >numbers is one of the trickiest concepts of pre-algebra, and >it can become a stumbling block that literally stops students > from progressing in higher math. > >Check out this manipulative program at: > >http://www.singingturtle.com/pages/ADMINISTRATORS3.html > >Let us know if you would like to test out this product with the deaf. > >We also have a very friendly guide to algebra, the Algebra Survival >Guide, which can be used by the deaf. his book is very helpful at >getting across algebraic >concepts to the students who are deaf and/or blind. > >You can check this out at: > >http://www.singingturtle.com/pages/ADMINISTRATORS1.html > >Please let us know if you have any questions about our products. > >Keep up the great work, and we hope to be in touch. > >Best regards, > Josh Rappaport >Author and Publisher >Singing Turtle Press > >josh@SingingTurtle.com > >

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®