From: Loyd <Loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002012320:53:43
Subject: Re: fractions

On 2002012318:35:57, sarah wrote:

>how do you add and subtract fractions like 1 +  1
>                                           4    2
>and 1 - 1  and any others like those ones
>    2   8                                  thanks

To solve these problems, we have to convert to like fractions.  That
is, each fraction will have to have a common denominator. For the
first problem, we convert 1/2 to 4ths.  1/2 = 2/4 so, the new problem
is:

1/4 + 2/4 = 3/4.

In the second problem, we convert 1/2 to eighths.  1/2 = 4/8 so the
new problem is:

4/8 - 1/8 = 3/8.

It is a good idea to learn to make a table of fraction families.  To
name a few:

1/2 = 2/4 = 3/6 = 4/8 = 5/10 etc.
1/3 = 2/6 = 3/9 = 4/12 etc.
1/7 = 2/14 = 3/21 = 4/28 etc.