From: OP
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006061313:17:18
Subject: Re: Explaining Multiplying Fractions

I think Ron, Gail, Jeanne and Suzanne have done a very good job
explaining this concept.  There are times when we give our best effort
and the student still does not understand what we are trying to
explain.  This may be because he does not understand the words that
you are using to describe the problem.   In my research I found out
about a tribe of people that had a limit of three in their language.
They went one, two, three and many.    This person may need more help
in understanding language before you will be able to help him
understand math.    I hope this helps.   You may want to look at   the
DotMath for kids web site to see if anything there would be of help to
you in teaching math.   The site is at   http://dotmath.tripod.com/

Owen

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question