From: ari-free <arielbhaviv@gmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008070601:07:51
Subject: Re: Re: fraction

I want to amend the last part to make it clearer
Now multiplying fractions:
1/2 X 2/3
I draw a box and that represents 1. I draw a horizontal line to cut it
in half.
Then I draw 2 vertical lines to cut it in thirds. There are now 6
pieces. A \ goes in each piece that is in the 1/2 (there are 3) and a
/ goes in each part that is 2/3 (4 parts)
You should see that 2 out of the 6 pieces are intersected. 1/2 x 2/3=
2/6

The box should look something like this (the whole box should really
be a square):
_______________________________
|         |         |         |
|         |         |         |
|    /    |    /    |         |
|         |         |         |
-------------------------------
|         |         |         |
You can see that 2 out of 6 parts are intersected with X. 2
intersections and that is the product

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®