From: Loyd <loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006111416:15:50
Subject: Re: PI

I know you asked for uses not demonstrations.  I used a bicycle wheel
and marked it with chaulk at the bottom and marked the floor at the
same time.  Then you roll the wheel across the room until the mark is
on the floor again.  It is easy to measure the distance rolled.  Of
course the distance rolled divided by the diameter will get you close
to the value of PI. "Good enought for government work" as government
workers used to say just for fun.

In the past when I wrote computer programs, I used the first three
double odd digits to get PI.

11  33  55  are the three double odd digits.  Place a divide symbol
thus:  355/113 and you get PI to about 6 places.   If a student is
working at a computer, he can go to Accessories, click on calculator
then click on view and click "scientific".
3.1415926535897932384626433832795 is the value you will find.  Not bad
accuracy.  Compare that to 355 divided by 113.

Of course you will find pi in any geometry, trig and engineering books
where rotation or circular shapes are involved.  The voltage out of
your wall sockets are the result of rotating machinry so these
waveforms can be expressed using PI.  In engineering, radians are most
often used rather than degrees so the conversion from degrees to
radians results in PI/2 radians being equal to 90 degrees.  Electric
fields are the result of rotation and there are a large number of
formulas in any scientific works where PI is used.  A scientific
calculator is valuable when working with radians because both radians
and degrees can be selected.

My father always said, "Pie are square not round."  By that saying he
always remembered the formula for the area of a circle.

My father told a story about a congressman in the 1800s who wanted to
change the value of PI to 3 in order to simplify the math.  Of course,
the didn't get that bill through congress.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/