From: Angela Ritter

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001121917:10:52
Subject: Children's literature and mathematics

. I am responding to two posting that I have seen so far on this website. Teacher who teaches middle school and is wanting to find some math related activities from the Christmas Carol. You can do some of the following. If Scrooge is ___ old, how long has he been working. How much does he pay his employee? What time does the three ghosts come to see Scrooge and how much time passes before the next one comes. What year is it? What would be the value of the goose in today's time? How much money did the little boy spend on the goose? How much money did the boy keep? This is in response to Fallyn. Yes, children can learn through using literature. I usually read a book to the students and break it down for them. They have to solve each problem as we read it. They also have to make a journal entry about what they learned today in math. You can also have them create a book similar to the book you read. This ties in writing and reading skills. There are several math related books out there. Scholastic provides some really good math ideas that you can do with books, on their web site.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/