From: debra Muse

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001122819:29:15
Subject: Children's lit and math

I believe reading is such an integral part of learning. Whenever I can connect reading to other subject areas, I do. Two years ago I received a local education grant in my teaching district to establish a math lending library. I purchased over 50 trade books, many quality literature, to correlate several strands of math, including: The Quilt Story, Alexander Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday, The Greedy Triangle, One Hundred Hungry Ants, The Doorbell Rang, and so many more. I usually introduce a lesson as appropriate by reading the book and then try to include a hands-on activity to go with the lesson and the book. Also, poetry is an excellent way to incorporate literature with math, especially Shel Silverstein poems, which are so interesting for my 3rd graders!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/