From: debra Muse <deb607@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001122818:29:15
Subject: Children's lit and math

I believe reading is such an integral part of learning.  Whenever I
can connect reading to other subject areas, I do.  Two years ago I
received a local education grant in my teaching district to establish
a math lending library.  I purchased over 50 trade books, many quality
literature, to correlate several strands of math, including:  The
Quilt Story, Alexander Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday, The Greedy
Triangle, One Hundred Hungry Ants, The Doorbell Rang, and so many
more.  I usually introduce a lesson as appropriate by reading the book
and then try to include a hands-on activity to go with the lesson and
the book.  Also, poetry is an excellent way to incorporate literature
with math, especially Shel Silverstein poems, which are so interesting
for my 3rd graders!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®