From: Jim

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002111421:30:59
Subject: Re: Strategies to assist a direct modeler

This isn't a researched answer; just my thoughts. Since the next logical step for a direct modeller is to move to counting-on, maybe you can save her the trouble of counting the first number of the problem for modelling and just hand her the appropriate number of cubes, telling her that there are, for example, six cubes here. Then ask her how she could use the six cubes and some other cubes to proceed to solve the problem. She would then, we hope, take the six cubes as a starting point and count additional cubes onto those. If she were reluctant to do so, you might try modelling this yourself for her a few times.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/