From: Jim <jschwar@frontiernet.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002111420:30:59
Subject: Re: Strategies to assist a direct modeler

This isn't a researched answer; just my thoughts. Since the next
logical step for a direct modeller is to move to counting-on, maybe
you can save her the trouble of counting the first number of the
problem for modelling and just hand her the appropriate number of
cubes, telling her that there are, for example, six cubes here. Then
ask her how she could use the six cubes and some other cubes to
proceed to solve the problem. She would then, we hope, take the six
cubes as a starting point and count additional cubes onto those. If
she were reluctant to do so, you might try modelling this yourself for
her a few times.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®