From: kamboj Bhupinder singh (M.Phil Maths,M.Ed Diploma Statistics

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007040102:26:01
Subject: Measures of central tendency; median

Hellow sir I am Kamboj Bhupinder singh M.Phil mathematics M.Ed ,Diploma statistics, teaching maths statistics to senior secondary classes for 20 yrs.Sir first end the topics MEAN and then explain the students "where mean fails".Mean fails when the difference in the items is so large as compared to number of items e.g if two studends buy a cycle sharing doller 1 and other sharing 20 .The student sharig one doller have no right to use cycle for same time period as sharing 20 dollers.Here the average mean fails as difference in the items9 (observations) is so large as compared to no.of observations,here mean fails then to find average we use other type of average called median.Median also fails when there is abrupt chang in the observations e.g X 3 ,5,8,12,14, 40000,dont have median.We use other type of average called mode I teach like this at lower level If u fing any thing wrong please do write me Kamboj59@yahoo.com

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/