From: Jim <jim258kelly@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002021514:56:27
Subject: Measurement Terminology

Listen to this,
If I say I have something that is "3 ft^2" (read: three feet squared),
does that mean I'm talking about a square that is 3 by 3 or a square
with sides that have an area that adds up to be 3?

Alternatively,

If I say I have something that is "3 square feet" (read: three square
feet), does that mean I'm talking about a square that is 3 by 3 or a
square with sides that have an area that adds up to be 3?

I guess my basic question is, "Is there a difference between 'three
feet squared' and 'three square feet'; and if so what is it?

Thanks
JPK

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question