Q&A #6113

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Customary measurement

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Loyd <Loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005041911:07:03
Subject: Re: Liquid and Dry Measure

The above web address has a 21 page PDF file that gives every
measurement one will likely need in metric and customary measurement.

One thing that is suprising, is that a dry liter is smaller than the
US liquid quart.  But the Liquid Liter is larger than the liquid

The dry measure apparently is based upon the bushel.

I discovered this when I bought a large bag of potting soil and found
that it was 55 quarts and 60.5 liters.

That PDF file is very complete and has all the measurements such as
gills, drams, furlongs etc.

At this web site, http://ts.nist.gov one can find pictures of the
standard bushels and other containers, bars etc.  Worthwhile for
students and teachers if that is your interest.

If we had it to do over again, would we have still use the dry and
liquid measure?  I doubt it.  Apparently, the liter is the same dry or

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®