From: Loyd <Loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006031612:26:28
Subject: Re: math help: Liter to quart etc.

On 2006031517:38:59, heather wrote:

>1 Liter= ______quarts
>
>1 Gallon= _____ liters
>
>1 Liter = _____ milliters

Per the Websters New World Dictionary: Liter is "the basic unit of
volume or capacity in the metric system, equal to 33.76 fluid ounces
or 1.0567 liquid quarts (0.9081 dry quarts..."

Notice that if you buy potting soil, it is sold as dry quarts.  If you
buy liquid such as mustard, milk etc. , it is considered liquid
measure.

Per the Websters New World Dictionary: Gallon is "a unit of liquid
measure, equal to 4 liquid quarts (3.7854 liquid liters): the British
and Canadian imperial gallon equals 4.54596 liquid liters b) a unit of
dry measure, equal to L peck or 4 dry quarts (4.4048 dry liters or
0.1556 cubic foot): abbrev. gal"

A liter has 1000 milliters.

Too bad liquid and dry measure has to be different.  I suspect it was
a political thing at one time.  Not sure, however, how that came
about.  Maybe someone knows the reason. Myself I didn't realize the
difference until I bought some potting soil last year and tried to see
why my calculations didn't work using the liquid definition.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/