From: K. Byrd
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006092118:12:47
Subject: Re: Trailblazers and Everyday Math

I teach kindergarten and my school uses the Everyday Math Curriculum,
and I along with many other teachers do not like it. Supposedly, it
teaches math concepts in a cyclical manner, but the cycle takes so
long to repeat itself that the students have forgoten previously
learned material. Some of the games are useful, but the curriculum as
a whole is not. The minute math book is a good tool to use during your
circle time because it has questions divided into various categories
that the students can quickly answer to keep their mental math skills
fresh. I only use Everyday Math about once a week, because it does not
teach the skills that the students need, and does not really seem to
build upon those they already possess. I instead use a hands-on math
activities book as well as some of my own ideas.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/