From: Amy
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002111715:16:24
Subject: Re: Teaching addition and subtraction to 1's

Hi Karen,

I am currently teaching an intersession class for First Graders and
have come to discover that they are not only full of boundless energy
but they also love to manipulate things.  So, I have created work
areas where they can go and explore addition and subtraction with a
collection of old buttons my Grandmother left me (I made up math
sentences on sentence strips to go along), sorting and classifing with
the plastic clips they put on loaves of bread, etc.  The best advice
is be creative and always have the children evaluate their work.

Amy

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®