Q&A #6233

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Everyday Math Program

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Ann

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006102915:00:24
Subject: Everyday Math Program

I am a third grade teacher and have taught Everyday Math for five years. Every year my class gets lower and lower, They have no foundation with the basic concepts (money, time, place value, number sense, addition...). It is a crime to have second graders coming in to third grade saying, "I'm awful at math and I hate math." I also have many parents complaining about the program. My main concern is for the ESL and low level students that are totally lost. Therefore, as professionals, the third grade team spoke out against the program and the harm that is being done to our students. We now are supplementing and teaching to mastery. We had a school wide survey and found that most teachers are very concerned about the lack of mastery and the presenting of concepts at an abstract level when the students are still concrete thinkers. Our district is realizing that we have to supplement the program so much that we should do away with the Everyday Math when we come up for adoption. In conclusion, take our advice and don't adopt this program. Do your research on Google. Ann

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®