From: Blair Chewning <bchewnin@collegiate-va.org>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002020110:28:35
Subject: Re:  Inclusion/basic skills

	Dear Jill, Lynn and others interested in this topic,
          Our school has used Everyday Math for the past twelve years.
We field tested the program at second and third grades, and, while
remaining in the classroom teaching second grade and now fourth, I
have also been a consultant with Everyday Learning (now McGraw Hill)
for eleven years.  How best to implement Everyday Math in a
heterogeneous classroom and how to ensure basic fact development are
two routinely asked questions.
           I would have to say that the program has grown tremendously
skills.  The "Mental Math and Reflexes" section of each lesson
(Getting Started) in the newest edition offers daily opportunities for
students to develop their basic skills.  Student journals now provide
more computation practice than in earlier editions. There is a
continued emphasis on games play at every single grade level, which is
absolutely critical to a child's ability to develop fact power.
Playing a game when it is introduced is not enough.  We made that
mistake the year we field tested the program.  Games should be a
constant in this program, both at school and at home.
           Student Reference Books, beginning at 3rd grade, offer
students a handy reference for each focus algorithm, as well as a
variety of other strategies for computation in all four operations.
Providing students with alternative algorithms has been a huge boost
to our mathematically challenged students.  They don't necessarily
"see math" in the same way that many of their classmates do, and this
allows them to explore ways that will truly make sense to them.  The
tiering of lessons in the latest edition also provides excellent
practice for students lacking in conceptual understanding, as well as
enrichment activities for those who have grasped a concept quickly.
           I hope this helps.  Please contact me if you have other
questions or just want to chat about the program.  If you haven't
guessed, after years of watching children thrive in this math
environment--I am a huge advocate.
                                                              Blair
Chewning

Richmond, Virginia