From: Blair Chewning

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002020110:28:35
Subject: Re: Inclusion/basic skills

Dear Jill, Lynn and others interested in this topic, Our school has used Everyday Math for the past twelve years. We field tested the program at second and third grades, and, while remaining in the classroom teaching second grade and now fourth, I have also been a consultant with Everyday Learning (now McGraw Hill) for eleven years. How best to implement Everyday Math in a heterogeneous classroom and how to ensure basic fact development are two routinely asked questions. I would have to say that the program has grown tremendously in response to teachers' requests for additional practice with basic skills. The "Mental Math and Reflexes" section of each lesson (Getting Started) in the newest edition offers daily opportunities for students to develop their basic skills. Student journals now provide more computation practice than in earlier editions. There is a continued emphasis on games play at every single grade level, which is absolutely critical to a child's ability to develop fact power. Playing a game when it is introduced is not enough. We made that mistake the year we field tested the program. Games should be a constant in this program, both at school and at home. Student Reference Books, beginning at 3rd grade, offer students a handy reference for each focus algorithm, as well as a variety of other strategies for computation in all four operations. Providing students with alternative algorithms has been a huge boost to our mathematically challenged students. They don't necessarily "see math" in the same way that many of their classmates do, and this allows them to explore ways that will truly make sense to them. The tiering of lessons in the latest edition also provides excellent practice for students lacking in conceptual understanding, as well as enrichment activities for those who have grasped a concept quickly. I hope this helps. Please contact me if you have other questions or just want to chat about the program. If you haven't guessed, after years of watching children thrive in this math environment--I am a huge advocate. Blair Chewning Richmond, Virginia

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/