From: donna <priceatl@bellsouth.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002050922:02:44
Subject: Re: Everyday Math-How to generate support

It is hard to generate support when teachers don't want to move.  We
used tremendous amounts of research, and had knowledgeable mathematics
people, who are respected, come an talk about the fact we had to live
with our choice for seven years. We did an item analysis of what was
most important at each grade level and then looked at those items to
decide if the approach was low level reasoning through high level
analysis/integration.  After all was said and done the choice was
obvious, but still most of the people were not happy about it.
Interestingly, it's been what happened with the children during this
first year that has made the difference with our teachers. They talk
about how much work it has been this first year, but they are stunned
with how much children enjoy math and what they are capable of.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/