Q&A #6233

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Everyday Math Program

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: donna

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002050922:02:44
Subject: Re: Everyday Math-How to generate support

It is hard to generate support when teachers don't want to move. We used tremendous amounts of research, and had knowledgeable mathematics people, who are respected, come an talk about the fact we had to live with our choice for seven years. We did an item analysis of what was most important at each grade level and then looked at those items to decide if the approach was low level reasoning through high level analysis/integration. After all was said and done the choice was obvious, but still most of the people were not happy about it. Interestingly, it's been what happened with the children during this first year that has made the difference with our teachers. They talk about how much work it has been this first year, but they are stunned with how much children enjoy math and what they are capable of.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®