From: bethany <bhb234@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004092318:32:42
Subject: Re: Re:  Inclusion/basic skills

Blair~
  I recently graduated from college, and I am now teaching fifth
grade.  This is our second year using everyday mathematics in our
district, and I have to say I am not impressed with it. I do find the
games to be helpful to the students, but sometimes I just feel like
they are looking at me with blank looks on their faces.  Math is my
favorite subject, so of course I get excited about it, but I want my
students to feel that same excitment and not get bored or frustarted
with it.  The reason I do not agree with the program is because I
really feel that it does not allow students to master the skill before
moving on. I know that the point of this curriculum is for students to
see it throughout their learning process and then eventually master
it; however, I feel it is setting them up to hate math because it
becomes a frustration when they don't grasp a concept, but we move on
anyway.  Any thoughts?  Also, I was wondering if you had any other
inclusion/fun/silly short math games to intro at the beginning of a
lesson instead of math messages.  I still want to use the math message
to intro the lesson, but again, I want to show them that math is FUN
and any little 2-3 minute activity we could do at the beginning would
be helpful!  Thank you for your time~
Bethany
bhb234@yahoo.com

Post a reply to this message