Q&A #6281

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Addition/subtraction

View entire discussion
[ next >>]

From: loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001111620:06:47
Subject: Regroup or Borrow

Nowadays, we usually hear "regroup" in subtraction in lieu of "borrow." I guess borrow is an old fashioned word. I was taught by the borrowing method (about 1939) working from right-to-left (borrow, subtract; borrow, subtract). But many students I tutor regroup from left-to-right. After they finish the entire regrouping process, they begin their subtraction. I don't dictate the method to the kids I tutor, if they know what they are doing. Problem is, the subtraction regrouping process is often not understood by many of the students I tutor and many of them use the modern left-to-right process which I suppose is mathematically correct. Many students mark up the problem so severe, I can't see what the original problem is and neither can they. If anyone is interested I prepared a PowerPoint (jpg) picture and posted it on my small web site that shows both methods. Comments are welcome. http://members.aol.com/loydlin3/borrow_regroup.jpg

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®