From: Rebecca

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003022023:00:01
Subject: Kumon

Perhaps you should introduce her to the "Function Machine" technique that is utilized in our school district's NEW "Everyday Maths" approach... You think she is confused now?!! Be thankful that you are not already subjecting a child with difficulties to an even more difficult and confusing method of conceptualizing, not teaching, mathematics. Be warned...If someone suggests the Everyday Math or Chicago Math approach in your district at the elementary school level, RUN FOR THE HILLS!!! I don't know if you've looked into alternative resources such as the Kumon Method. It is a no nonsense step by step, non-competitive, individualized approach to learning and mastering the basics of mathematics. It is not taught in most school districts, but the children I know who participate in this private program are AT LEAST a grade level ahead of the main stream. The exercises are done at home each day, and in the beginning, take only 5 to 10 minutes per day. Each child progresses at his or her own pace. It does require a commitment on the homefront, checking the work and aquiring additional work, but could be worth looking into in a case such as this. It's not necessarily "innovative", but it is patient and consistent...something that, at the elementary school level, Everyday Math IS NOT!!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/