Q&A #6281

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Addition/subtraction

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004121318:32:13
Subject: Re: Memorizing Addition/subtraction

You could use your flash cards and every time the student got the answer right on the first try, put a 1 beside the list. If he didn't, place a 0 there. When the child gets three ones in a row for that fact (with some time between attempts), color it in with a colored highlighter. You can remove that card from the stack. I used to write each fact five times and say it out loud as I wrote it. I didn't have any trouble learning that way. Of course, I wrote them many times. My sister would also use the flash cards by flashing it and I was to answer as soon as possible. We did that in school also and made kind a contest out of it. By the way, I was a big kid before I stopped using domino spots while adding. I did that even though I knew facts. Didn't hold me back. By the way, memorizing is easy. We had to learn 500 lines of poetry each year for much of middle school and high school. I still remember some of it. "Under the spreading chestnut tree, the village smitty stands..." etc. My daughter is an engineer now. She still praises the teacher that made sll of them stand before the class and recite facts. She hated it at the time, but in the end had respect for that teacher. Good luck. Try searching this whole site. There are lots of posts in the past 6 years that talk about how to do this.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®