From: Lisa <wontolla_ami@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008011813:35:00
Subject: Re: Memorizing Addition/subtraction

I think you are right that number strategies should be learned first.
That helps the mind with the mobility it needs to devise strategies to
add larger numbers quickly.  If these things have been covered though,
memorization of the single digit addition is very helpful to the
student.  The best way to teach this depends on the student.  Some
kids are better visual learners.  If you provide a sheet of paper with
all the addition problems AND their answers (i.e. 5+2=7), and have the
child recopy them, they will learn them quickly (they should also
repeat them mentally as they recopy them.  Auditory learners benefit
by repeating the addition problem with the answer as they read it off
the flashcard (flashcards should have the answer provided with the
question, so the whole thing can be memorized).  In this way, as the
student repeats a problem mentally, the brain will automatically
complete the familiar string of numbers  (5+2=.....7!).

There are also jittery kids, which I don't have a lot of personal
experience with (I'm a homeschooling mom of five, that's my only
qualification).  However, I have heard of a strategy devised by one
such jittery kid (known as kinetic learners), in which the student put
each problem needed for memorization on its own step, then read them
to herself as she hopped up each step.  However, as I said, I have no
personal frame of reference in this case.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/