Q&A #6281

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Addition/subtraction

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Donnalyn Yates

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007100118:03:38
Subject: Re: Memorizing Addition/subtraction

I know your frustration! I'm a retired teacher who ran into the same problem. I did something quite different for memorization. Since children respond to pictures, rhymes and clapping, I made up rhymes for each addition and subtraction fact. I only taught a few rhymes at a time but it worked! For example: "2 + 8 is 10, I'm in a lion's den. 10 minus 8 is 2, he started to nibble my shoe!" Draw a picture of a lion nibbling a boy's shoe. It's easy to remember the rhyme, especially if you have your child say it in a sing-song voice. Then while the child is saying the rhyme, have him clap out a pattern with you or a sibling. The success of this method is that it is fun, repetitious and the brain stores information using rhymes. Visual learners remember the pictures. The student is remembering that 2, 8 and 10 belong together whether it is adding or subtracting. Since it worked so well for my students I wrote rhymes for all the facts. I'm not trying to make this a commercial but just wanted to share the idea with you. You can make up your own rhymes and pictures. If you want to see what I'm talking about, www.memoryjoggers.com

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®