From: Rebecca <Becky>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003022022:00:01
Subject: Kumon

Perhaps you should introduce her to the "Function Machine" technique
that is utilized in our school district's  NEW "Everyday Maths"
approach... You think she is confused now?!!  Be thankful that you are
not already subjecting a child with difficulties to an even more
difficult and confusing method of conceptualizing, not teaching,
mathematics.  Be warned...If someone suggests the Everyday Math or
Chicago Math approach in your district at the elementary school level,
RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!

I don't know if you've looked into alternative resources such as the
Kumon Method.  It is a no nonsense step by step, non-competitive,
individualized approach to learning and mastering the basics of
mathematics.  It is not taught in  most school districts, but the
children I know who participate in this private program are AT LEAST a
grade level ahead of the main stream.  The exercises are done at home
each day, and in the beginning,  take only 5 to 10 minutes per day.
Each child progresses at his or her own pace.  It does require a
commitment on the homefront, checking the work and aquiring additional
work, but could be worth looking into in a case such as this.  It's
not necessarily "innovative", but it is patient and
consistent...something that, at the elementary school level, Everyday
Math IS NOT!!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®