From: Cathy <Bcwanser@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001060313:07:07
Subject: Late assignment

Homework that is one day late counts as 80% C.
Two days or more late the homework counts as a 60% F.
The student has till the end of the nine weeks to get credit for the
homework assignment.

Homework counts as 15% of the final nine week grade.

I teach sixth grade.  Homework is given approxiamently three times a
week.  My philosophy is....if I assign the homework, I will grade the
work.  I do not believe in busy work.  The homework provides outside
class room practice and prepares them for the test.  At one time I
gave an A+ for turning homework in on time and 0 for not doing it.  I
saw the quality of the student's work drop.  the only good thing about
that method was I had less paper work, but the students were
suffering. It didn't take a rocket scientist to see that the teacher
wasn't grading the homework, so why bother to do all the work.

After I read the book, The Dummying Down of America (?)  I went back
to grading each and every paper.  Now my students are doing much
better and the test scores are much higher.   Each teacher must decide
what works best for them and the students.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/