From: Cathy

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001060314:07:07
Subject: Late assignment

Homework that is one day late counts as 80% C. Two days or more late the homework counts as a 60% F. The student has till the end of the nine weeks to get credit for the homework assignment. Homework counts as 15% of the final nine week grade. I teach sixth grade. Homework is given approxiamently three times a week. My philosophy is....if I assign the homework, I will grade the work. I do not believe in busy work. The homework provides outside class room practice and prepares them for the test. At one time I gave an A+ for turning homework in on time and 0 for not doing it. I saw the quality of the student's work drop. the only good thing about that method was I had less paper work, but the students were suffering. It didn't take a rocket scientist to see that the teacher wasn't grading the homework, so why bother to do all the work. After I read the book, The Dummying Down of America (?) I went back to grading each and every paper. Now my students are doing much better and the test scores are much higher. Each teacher must decide what works best for them and the students.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/