From: Faye <feliz@math.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002080904:13:19
Subject: Re: Exponents

Hi! I'm teaching algebra and calculus. In our lesson, I have given my
students an exercise taken from the textbook. When I looked at the
Answer Key, I found out that its answer is different with mine, which
was consistent with the other exercises in the textbook. So, I thought
that maybe my solutions were wrong, but I have come across a loose
handouts from seminars with similar exercise with the same solution as
mine. It baffled me, so I want to hear your opinion. The equation
seemed to be very easy to solve but my students were arguing what rule
to follow. The following is the equation:
         3
 p      3
8   =  2

Thank you.