Q&A #6377

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Geometer's Sketchpad

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002080906:31:31
Subject: Re: Re: Exponents

On 2002080904:13:19, Faye wrote: > >Hi! I'm teaching algebra and calculus. In our lesson, I have given my >students an exercise taken from the textbook. When I looked at the >Answer Key, I found out that its answer is different with mine, which >was consistent with the other exercises in the textbook. So, I thought >that maybe my solutions were wrong, but I have come across a loose >handouts from seminars with similar exercise with the same solution as >mine. It baffled me, so I want to hear your opinion. The equation >seemed to be very easy to solve but my students were arguing what rule >to follow. The following is the equation: > 3 > p 3 >8 = 2 > >Thank you. > >Faye > I would say that P=3. The upper three means that 2^3 is taken as a product three times, i.e., (2^3)(2^3)(2^3). The base is two and we add exponents to obtain 2^9 = 512. 8^3 = 512, so P=3. Also, my HP-6s scientific calculator, gives 512 when I punch this problem in using the "raised to button" or (y^x) button. Let me know if you think the answer is different than the above.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®