From: Loyd <loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002080906:31:31
Subject: Re: Re: Exponents

On 2002080904:13:19, Faye wrote:

>Hi! I'm teaching algebra and calculus. In our lesson, I have given my
>students an exercise taken from the textbook. When I looked at the
>Answer Key, I found out that its answer is different with mine, which
>was consistent with the other exercises in the textbook. So, I
thought
>that maybe my solutions were wrong, but I have come across a loose
>handouts from seminars with similar exercise with the same solution
as
>mine. It baffled me, so I want to hear your opinion. The equation
>seemed to be very easy to solve but my students were arguing what
rule
>to follow. The following is the equation:
>         3
> p      3
>8   =  2
>
>Thank you.
>
>Faye

I would say that P=3.  The upper three means that 2^3 is taken as a
product three times, i.e., (2^3)(2^3)(2^3). The base is two and we add
exponents to obtain 2^9 = 512.  8^3 = 512, so P=3.

Also, my HP-6s scientific calculator, gives 512 when I punch this
problem in using the "raised to button" or (y^x) button.  Let me know
if you think the answer is different than the above.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/