From: loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005032312:37:57
Subject: Re: math

On 2005032310:23:22, Lisa Phipps wrote: > >My daughter is learning subtraction of intergers and it's been years >since I've done them. When do you change the sign for the second >number? and why? She has -5 + +7=. he teacher told her she needed to >change it to -5 - -7=. Why do you change it? On the first one I would >get +2 and on the second one I would get -2. Is this correct? > The answer to both of them is +2. When ever you have two minuses to gether, the sign becomes positive. In the old days, we lined numbers up this way: -5 - -7 ------- Then we were told if it was subtraction, to change the sign of the lower than proceed as in algebraic addition. -5 + +7 ------- 2 I don't want to influence how to teach your daughter this topic because teachers all have unique ways to teach this. Myself, I often teach addition and substraction with a number line. In the case of subtraction, you change to addition by changing the sign of the lower. Then use the number line. I suggest you go to www.google.com and search for "addition and subtraction of signed numbers". The first and third topic to pop up might help you. The third one has a calculator where you can enter the problem or click on the minuend, subtrahend and difference to see you answer. The first one that pops up explains that any even number of minuses together becomes positive.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/