From: Ali Elghoul <elghoula_mathed_dearborn712@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005031813:47:19
Subject: Re: Becoming a math teacher

Dear Friend,

  My name is Ali Elghoul and I am studying to become a math teacher
myself. I am 20 years old, from Lebanon, and in my third year at Henry
Ford Community College in Dearborn, MI.  I came across your question
on the internet of what is needed to become a math teacher, and I
decided to help you out.  I want to become a high school math teacher
and have observed what math teachers do.  On a typical day, a math
teacher makes lesson plans to prepare for class, gives in-class and
out-of class exercises to students, and gives exams.  Some teachers
use a textbook and some do not.  I prefer to do so.  To become a math
teacher, there are three basic requirements.  First, you need at least
a Bachelor's Degree.  Second, you need to complete an approved teacher
training program, which is basically student teaching.  Last, you need
to be licensed by the state in which you wish to teach.  In other
words, the state needs to certify you to teach mathematics.  In
regards to colleges, a good idea would be for a future math teacher to
start off at a two-year community college and earn an Associate's
Degree, just like me.  Then, they will transfer to a four-year
university to finish their Bachelor's Degree.  I hope this helps you
out.  If you have any other questions, you can always feel free to
contact me by email at elghoula_mathed_dearborn712@yahoo.com.

Best Wishes,

Ali Elghoul from Dearborn, Michigan

Post a reply to this message