From: Ali Elghoul

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005031813:47:19
Subject: Re: Becoming a math teacher

Dear Friend, My name is Ali Elghoul and I am studying to become a math teacher myself. I am 20 years old, from Lebanon, and in my third year at Henry Ford Community College in Dearborn, MI. I came across your question on the internet of what is needed to become a math teacher, and I decided to help you out. I want to become a high school math teacher and have observed what math teachers do. On a typical day, a math teacher makes lesson plans to prepare for class, gives in-class and out-of class exercises to students, and gives exams. Some teachers use a textbook and some do not. I prefer to do so. To become a math teacher, there are three basic requirements. First, you need at least a Bachelor's Degree. Second, you need to complete an approved teacher training program, which is basically student teaching. Last, you need to be licensed by the state in which you wish to teach. In other words, the state needs to certify you to teach mathematics. In regards to colleges, a good idea would be for a future math teacher to start off at a two-year community college and earn an Associate's Degree, just like me. Then, they will transfer to a four-year university to finish their Bachelor's Degree. I hope this helps you out. If you have any other questions, you can always feel free to contact me by email at elghoula_mathed_dearborn712@yahoo.com. Best Wishes, Ali Elghoul from Dearborn, Michigan

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/