From: Mitchell Davis

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008080518:43:50
Subject: place value go expanded

try using an expanded view of the problem original 123 expanded 123 + 123 + 123 x123 x 3 x20 x100 because each number has a place value and we are not multiplying a "2" but instead are multiplying "20". Once we understand that it is the place value and not the number, we can see why zeros or shifting to the right is required for multiplying in the standard form of multiplication.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/