From: Mitchell Davis <noah128@cebridge.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008080518:43:50
Subject: place value go expanded

try using an expanded view of the problem

original 123      expanded  123 + 123 + 123
        x123                x 3   x20  x100

because each number has a place value and we are not multiplying a "2"
but instead are multiplying "20".  Once we understand that it is the
place value and not the number, we can see why zeros or shifting to
the right is required for multiplying in the standard form of
multiplication.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®