Q&A #6524

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Explaining the why's of multiplication place values

View entire discussion
[<< prev]

From: Mrs Anderson

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008090401:08:23
Subject: teaching multiplication

Hi All I am a fifth grade teacher. Each year my new students show a very shallow grasp of multiplication. I know that this should be mastered in third grade but they come to me unable to recite the tables, do a timed test, and most are unable to do two digit by two digit multiplication. Because they have not learned this prior to fifth grade I am faced with a class that is not ready for fifth grade math. This year only 3 out of 31 students are proficient in multiplication. Every year I try new ideas to get the idea across and to foster times table learning with no success. I feel as if I need to begin a Multiplication Boot Camp. I need some new ideas to teach this concept to students who have checked out on math by fifth grade. :) Ms A

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®