From: Mrs Anderson <panderson@nusd.k12.ca.us>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008090400:08:23
Subject: teaching multiplication

Hi All

I am a fifth grade teacher.  Each year my new students show a very
shallow grasp of multiplication.  I know that this should be mastered
in third grade but they come to me unable to recite the tables, do a
timed test, and most are unable to do two digit by two digit
multiplication.  Because they have not learned this prior to fifth
grade I am faced with a class that is not ready for fifth grade math.
This year only 3 out of 31 students are proficient in multiplication.
Every year I try new ideas to get the idea across and to foster times
table learning with no success.  I feel as if I need to begin a
Multiplication Boot Camp.  I need some new ideas to teach this concept
to students who have checked out on math by fifth grade.

:)
Ms A

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question