Q&A #659

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Integrating literature into math

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Marie Trapp

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001120309:38:16
Subject: Re: Integrating Literature into Math: Adolescent audience

I have been looking at this subject for some time. There are many really excellent elementary level books for this, from SIR CUMFERENCE AND THE KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE to THE MATH CURSE. I begin my Math-Literature unit with these books, then progress to some others at a higher level: THE NUMBER DEVIL and ALICE IN QUANTUM LAND. My students read this individually or I read them out loud, and then the students are encouraged to create their own story. Since I teach in a K-12 school, the 7th graders may create a math story that teaches a concept to a lower school class. There is also a great resource on Math poetry; I have it at home, so will look it up if there is interest.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®