From: S. Foster <stellfoster@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002080518:10:52
Subject: first day of school

I am middle school teacher.  I make it my goal to know the names and
something interesting about each of my students.  I tend to remember
James, name if I know that James is a black belt in karate. On the
first day it is hard to get them to talk so I take advantage of their
"shyness".  I ask each student to write three unique things about
themselves on an index card.  They are not to put their names on it.
I collect them and hand them back, giving each student somebody else's
card.  The goal is to match the person with the clues.  The students
must find the person.  Once the person is found I write their names on
the cards and I use the association that the girl who likes to bake
cookies is Samantha. It helps me to remember names.  It also helps
througout the year to know the interest of your students because you
can plan lessons around their interest.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®