Q&A #6734

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: First day of school

View entire discussion
[<< prev]

From: S. Foster

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002080518:10:52
Subject: first day of school

I am middle school teacher. I make it my goal to know the names and something interesting about each of my students. I tend to remember James, name if I know that James is a black belt in karate. On the first day it is hard to get them to talk so I take advantage of their "shyness". I ask each student to write three unique things about themselves on an index card. They are not to put their names on it. I collect them and hand them back, giving each student somebody else's card. The goal is to match the person with the clues. The students must find the person. Once the person is found I write their names on the cards and I use the association that the girl who likes to bake cookies is Samantha. It helps me to remember names. It also helps througout the year to know the interest of your students because you can plan lessons around their interest.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®