From: Diane Keys <dkeys@acsd.k12.ca.us>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008032013:50:30
Subject: Re: Mountain Math/Mountain Language

I am in a jobshare situtation this year and my partner so I don't have
autonomy to choose mountain math and language this year. In the past I
have found it to be one of the best reinforcement tools available.
There are enough questions to last most of the school year. I labeled
mine by weeks. Students had one week to complete the sections.
Students worked on them Monday through Thursday and we corrected our
answers on Friday.

Mountain Language: Monday 1-5, Tuesday 6-10, Wednesday 11-15, Thursday
16-20

Mountain Math: Monday 1-6, Tuesday 6-12, Wednesday 13-18, and Thursday
19-24

I had heavy duty transparencies (I buy heavy clear plastic used for
report covers, at a nearby paper company) and I numbered them 1-20 for
language arts and 1-24 for math. Students could, when they were
finished with their morning work, come up and get a transparency and
work the problem again, using a Vis-a-Vis marker, and then, of course,
signing their name. When it was time to correct the math and language
on Friday, nearly all the problems were already worked out and we
could go over the answers quickly, correcting any misconceptions. This
worked extemely well for me and my students. They loved getting to be
the teacher and they could choose which problems they wanted to
explain. Win-win.

It is best to start slow and make sure you have covered each of the
concepts. I teach sixth grade, so many of the math concepts, for
example, were already introduced in fifth grade.

I am a huge fan of this program and have even supplemented their
questions with some specific ones of my own. (I just called them bonus
questions.) I hope this helps. Diane

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®