From: Carol Grout <carolgrout1@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2009012603:26:04
Subject: Mountain Math and Mountain Language

Will a teacher please help me understand this....my daughter is in 4th
grade and has always been an excellent student,performing 1-2 grade
levels ahead.  However, she makes low Bs and Cs on Mtn. Math and Mtn.
Lang, which pull her report card average down one or 2 letter grades
or levels below how she performs in class and on the CRCT, ITBS, etc.
This is extremely frustrating for us because we can't SEE the entire
question, so we don't know what she missed. We just see her answers,
so we can't help her. She is obviously making the same mistakes,but it
is out of our control.  For example, the Math sheet may say,"What is
the sum of these numbers?"   BUT it doesn't show us what the numbers
are that she miscalculated!  Therefore, it is impossible for us to
help her.  The purpose of evaluations is to help correct mistakes.
Mountain Math and Mountain Language completley disregard this
extremely IMPORTANT fact for parents who actually want to help their
children excel.   Right now, all we can say is,"Oh well, we hope you
do better next time, but there is no way for us to help you learn from
your mistakes because of the nature of the Mountain Math and Language
Programs. It keeps parents unaware and in the dark."  I've taught for
19 years, and I don't see how any teacher or administrator could think
it is a good idea to use this program as allowable for recorded
grades.  If it were just for classroom practice,and then each question
reviewed by the teacher, I would understand the significance.
Opinions?   I'm wondering if I should voice my concerns to
administration.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®